codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  how to print a report having many records.  Archive Import (Simi) at 05:46 on Saturday, July 12, 2003

I have generated a report using ASP. Its a table having more than 1000 records. While taking a print out of this page, I want to display the header of the page (the company logo & the column names) everytime a new page is printed. Does anyone have a solution to this?...pls help.

Thank you

Re: how to print a report having many records.  Troy Wolf at 13:09 on Tuesday, July 15, 2003

If you find a good solution, please post it back here. This is an age old issue with the browser environment -- it does not cater to printed reports. Most solutions I`ve seen are quite complicated. The best solution I think is to have a server-side process that generates a PDF from the data. This actually isn`t that difficult to do, but like anything new to you, is completely abstract until you`ve done it once. Server-side PDF generation requires purchasing and installing fairly expensive third-party components. One popular one is ActivePDF.

I think you will find this Microsoft article useful. It describes the Style Sheet methods for controlling printing format--including page breaks.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/dynstyle/printing.asp

If you know how many lines of data including your headers will fit per page, you can use a special printing style sheet to force page breaks every so many records, print the header row, then print another so many records, and so on.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

Re: how to print a report having many records.  Troy Wolf at 13:15 on Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Oh, another thing that you may find useful is this free ActiveX tool:

http://www.meadroid.com/sx_intro.asp

What this does is allow you to temporarily remove the default browser header and footers that normally print. You can also set margins, orientation, etc -- programmatically within your ASP code.

This works well for sites where you have some control over your user base. For public use sites, the downside is that they will get a popup asking them to allow the ActiveX to install. Many users are scared to allow scripts to install--and for good reason. I`m using it, and it has not caused any problems.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

Re: how to print a report having many records.  Elain at 08:39 on Thursday, November 25, 2010

For example:
1. Steven Petrozola, Jazz Park
2. Steven Petrozola, McDonalds
3. Steven Petrozola, Burger King

I would like to create a report that has Stevens name at the top and then
all the account names below that is on a single page report. Is this possible?

Use Sorting and Grouping (View menu) to specify the person
field. Select Yes in the Section Header property. Then
move the person text box to the group header section.
----------------------------------------
flash menu|drop down menu|flash decompiler mac

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: How to check number of fields in form?
•  Re: where can i post my programs to the world?
•  Re: DHTML tabletree
•  Re: Needed script or whatever it is
•  Re: navigation of control
•  Re: Image on a HTML button
•  Re: Trouble w/strings in ASP
•  Re: how to print a report having many records.
•  Re: Creating a simple client login / email database

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists
ASP FileExists
ASP OpenTextFile
ASP FilesystemObject
ASP CreateFolder
ASP CreateTextFile
Javascript Get Selected Text