codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Disbale edit  Archive Import (Hellfish) at 17:24 on Saturday, April 26, 2003

hello,

Is there a code or something] to disable people taking the html from the edit button on the toolbar?

thnx if u can help

Re: Disbale edit  Troy Wolf at 15:07 on Friday, August 01, 2003

No. There are methods to make your code so messy that nobody wants to decode it. This is called HTML Obfuscation. There are companies that create tools to do this for you, but everytime somebody creates a tool to protect, somebody else creates a tool to break that protection. This website lists resources to tools to break code obfuscation:
http://www.swishweb.com/dec.htm
(I`m not giving anything away here--I just did a search for "HTML obfuscation" on Google, and this was one of the top hits.)

Any real business logic can be done server-side where you can hide your code. Try to keep your HTML pages down to presentation only. There should be nothing left to hide in what you send to the browser. One of the things that has made HTML and Javascript and other technologies flourish and become powerful is the openness of them. If you want to know how to do some cool code trick, just find a site that does it, and look at the source. Although there are times we wish we could keep our HTML a secret, the overall benefits of the open source have made it great for all of us.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

Re: Disbale edit  Elain at 04:45 on Friday, December 03, 2010

Thank you for your great ways!

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: How to Remove the URL`s from printouts
•  Re: 2 or more scripts
•  Re: query can we
•  Re: Disbale edit
•  Re: How to get all the properties values of an object
•  Re: Catalog
•  Re: DHTML drop down menu
•  Re: Where do I find source code on this site?
•  Re: I need help with date validation

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists
ASP FileExists
ASP OpenTextFile
ASP FilesystemObject
ASP CreateFolder
ASP CreateTextFile
Javascript Get Selected Text