codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Manipulating large Images.  jhop at 16:14 on Sunday, April 16, 2006

I am working on an applet which will apply various transforms to jpgs. I have followed the Tutorial at http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3403921 which is great, and I have a working sample. (it uses a PixelGrabber and MemoryImageSource) However, the images I need to work on are 1.5Mb jpg files. When I try to use my working code on one of them, I get an out of memory error. I then saved my jpg as a bitmap, and realised that it expands to about 40Mb, which explains the problem.)That is a fair amount of memory for an applet)

Now, I understand that I could get my users to increase the amount of memory on the virtual machine, but they arn't clever enough to do that.

I was hoping that there would be some way of taking a smaller chunck of the pixels each time, doing my transform, and putting that data into an image peice at a time so that the whole file is never uncompressed at the same time. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how?

thanks

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: Conversion
•  How to uplaod a file in asp.net using the input(file) tool,
•  Enabling/Disabling Checkbox with js
•  Re: I cant send mails in ASP
•  Re: how to receive emails using CDONTS in ASP
•  Need to update the Database while closing the window
•  create hyperlink in javascript innerHTML
•  Re: Problem with repainting a canvas.
•  Manipulating large Images.

Recent Articles
What is a pointer in C?
Multiple submit buttons with form validation
Understanding Hibernate ORM for Java/J2EE
HTTP screen-scraping and caching
a javascript calculator
A simple way to JTable
Java Native Interface (JNI)
Parsing Dynamic Layouts
MagicGrid
Caching With ASP.Net