codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
This 45 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >  
  open excel file in html page  Archive Import (Manoj Verma) at 06:20 on Tuesday, July 22, 2003

i want to open an existing excel file on click of the link. the condition is.. i want excel to be opned when i click on link.. it should open in Excel application instead of Browser..

Re: open excel file in html page  Archive Import (Keith) at 00:55 on Thursday, July 24, 2003

<a href="/forum/data/myFile.xls" target="_blank" >

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 14:16 on Monday, July 28, 2003

Keith, a link like that will work, but on a Windows computer with a default IE and Excel install, the spreadsheet will open with Excel WITHIN the browser--rather than directly with Excel. I think this person is asking how to force the spreadsheet to open outside the browser. I don`t know of any way to bypass the user`s plug-in preferences, but perhaps there is a way to do this. I`m interested to see if someone has a method to accomplish this goal.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 12:51 on Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Does the target of your shortcut include the full path to the Excel exe? Or is it just a shortcut to the .xls file? I`m curious. Thanks!

Re: open excel file in html page  Archive Import (Manoj Verma) at 23:53 on Tuesday, July 29, 2003

you just need to have the path of shortcut, the path of excel application needs not to mentioned.

<a href = "data/myfile.xls.lnk> click here </a>

when you create the shortcut in Windows Explorer, it will not display the file extension, the ext is .lnk

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 23:43 on Thursday, July 31, 2003

Right, but in your shortcut, what is the "target"? Does that target have the full path to the Excel executable? Or is it just a link to the .xls file? I ask, because I`m guessing that your .lnk is a shortcut to Excel passing in the .xls as a parameter. I`d think a .lnk to the file directly would just open the spreadsheet in the browser again. Let me know. Thanks!

Re: open excel file in html page  arunima at 08:35 on Friday, November 14, 2003

Hi Troy,
I have a similar kind of requirement. I have not written much of HTML codes. Very Novice.
In brief I am writing a PL/SQL server page(psp), which has commands similar to html tags. My files (pdf.doc/txt/xls etc) are stored in Oracle databse. This PSP is written to implement Oracle text where in one can search files from database on the basis of provided search criteria. This works fine and my file opens when I cleck to its link. BUT.....

It opens in browser and not using its executable. Now as you say "Does that target have the full path to the Excel executable? " .Please let me know how do I specify the executable path in any html to open a file saved in database.
i.e how do I associate the respective executable to a file.

Regards,

Re: open excel file in html page  peter.schmidt at 09:45 on Thursday, March 25, 2004

It is possible to configure how to open documents with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Documents can be opened inside the browser itself or with the original application like MS Office or Acrobat Reader. Opening it with the integrated viewer does not provide the full functionality of the original application.

You can force the Internet Explorer to open the documents with the original application by changing the file type association in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). To do this select menu "Extra / Folder Options" in Windows Explorer (where your files are listed), select the file type you want to change on the file types tap (esp. RTF and PDF), and disable option "Open in same Window" in the advanced settings.

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 13:32 on Friday, March 26, 2004

Thanks for this excellent tip, Peter! I can use this myself. In an Intranet scenario where you have some level of control over the user computers, this would work. In a public Internet scenario, you would not have any control over how users configure their own computers. I guess he could post instructions on his site to explain to users how to make this change.

Re: open excel file in html page  LPL_ENG at 17:30 on Thursday, May 27, 2004

I am having the same problem with opening a file outside of internet explorer. I'm trying to open a Microstation DGN file by clicking on a hyperlink. I tried going into the folder options and all, but it still tries to open the file in IE and IE does not support DGN files. Are there any suggestions on this?

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 18:34 on Thursday, May 27, 2004

I *think* you'll find success by linking to a properly configured shortcut (.lnk) instead of the file itself. Configure a shortcut to the application that passes the data file as a parameter. Then try setting your HTML link to the shortcut file. If this works, it will only work on Windows of course, and the user will have to have the app installed -- and in the same directory structure as the link specifies.

Re: open excel file in html page  bramberg at 09:28 on Monday, June 07, 2004

I found this solution on how to open an Excel file outside IE. The solution is issued by Tim Ackermann and can be found at :
http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/resources/scripts_win/article.php/3081621

Re: open excel file in html page  peterswan at 23:04 on Monday, July 19, 2004

Hi Bramberg,

Thanks for the cool link. I went ahead and tested the VBScript on my computer, and it worked fine. The file opens directly into Excel. But I tested it on our server here at work and it didn't work. I surfed the net a bit for a solution and found out that you need to change a setting on the client computer to accept the Active X Script.

In browser go to Tools | Internet Options | Security | Custom Level.
By default Initalizing and Scripting ActiveX controls that are not marked safe is disabled.
Changed it from disabled to prompt, and the code works.

Another thing I'd like to mention about this thread is that with both of these solutions (VBScript, shortcut) you can now directly edit the Excel page to the server. This is not possible by opening up the Excel page in IE or unchecking the "Open in Same Window" checkbox in My Computer, because with these solutions a read only version is opened up.

Thanks for a most useful post. I'll keep this stuff in mind.

Peter

Re: open excel file in html page  Yusairi at 09:22 on Thursday, September 02, 2004

hi,

please check out some info link below :-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q162/0/59.asp&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

------------
"gain more knowledge at CodeToad.com"
yusairi
http://www.vss.com.my

Re: open excel file in html page  sveli at 16:58 on Monday, October 04, 2004

I would like to open excel file (say report.xls) in html file when loading document in browser (but not outside the browser) as part of the document, is this possible? If so, could you please give your advise and suggesions.

Thanks in advance,

This 45 message thread spans 3 pages: [1]  2   3  > >  

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  C# excel library
•  Re: open excel file in html page
•  asp.net excel
•  Cracked software ftp download 2013
•  Latest crack software ftp download
•  Famous Software ftp download 2013