codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
This 45 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  [2]  3  > >  
  Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 17:54 on Monday, October 04, 2004

The second post of this thread points out that simply linking to an excel file should open the spreadsheet WITHIN the browser using Excel's browser plugin. This, of course, requires Excel to be installed on the user's computer. I don't know, but I also assume that Excel as a browser plug-in is IE specific.

If you want to open the spreadsheet outside the browser, then follow the various posts already in this thread. These questions have already been answered within this forum thread.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

Re: open excel file in html page  sveli at 21:00 on Thursday, October 07, 2004

I created pie chart in excel and the file is opening in browser when using <a href="/forum/myFile.xls">Summary</a> hyper link. If I change any data in excel table that is not being updated in excel when opening in browser but the same is working fine when opend in excel.

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 21:22 on Thursday, October 07, 2004

I'd think that when the browser uses the Excel plug-in, that objects within the Excel document (such as graph images) would not be subject to the browser's caching mechanism. However, from what you describe, the problem is almost certainly the age-old browser cache issue.

This is not a bug or anything broken. The way around this problem can be solved by one of 2 ways.

1. Do not re-use the same image filename. In your situation, you are talking about a chart image generated by Excel -- I don't think you have any control over the resulting image name.

2. Make the browser stop caching the page and/or images. On the client-side, you can control this in your browser settings. You can tell your browser to never cache. On the server-side, you can send appropriate HTTP headers or META tags to tell the browser not to cache the page. Look at these ASP options as posted by Night in this Codetoad thread (near the bottom of thread):
http://www.codetoad.com/forum/21_23042.asp

<% Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" %>'
<% Response.AddHeader "Pragma", "no-cache" %>
<% Response.Expires = -1 %>

Re: open excel file in html page  uber_geek at 19:33 on Monday, November 15, 2004

The solution i have is quite simple, Make a Perfect network acessable link to the file. Simply point a link towards your link

www.whatever.com/excel_test.lnk

This will make excel open and the file will be available

Re: open excel file in html page  Troy Wolf at 20:10 on Monday, November 15, 2004

uber_geek, what the heck is a "Perfect network acessable link"?

Re: open excel file in html page  uber_geek at 21:12 on Monday, November 15, 2004

a link that can be viewed by anyone on your network =) ie no w:\folder\folder\test.lnk

Re: open excel file in html page  html_excel at 14:25 on Wednesday, December 15, 2004

guys i need this desperately....want to have hyperlinks from a webpage to certain parts of an excel sheet. are they called named region...why hasn't ne one replied to this earlier!!! HELPPPPP

Re: open excel file in html page  aman_cingh at 18:55 on Sunday, May 01, 2005

hey
i dont know why everybody is finding it difficult to open up a office file on the net
the basic thing is if you want to open up a office file
you just give the link directly as u give it to the other files in the a href tag with your file ext.
i have designed www.ggdsd.com and you can check the forms link and the date sheet link they r word files and they doesn't open up in the internet exp. they ask to be saved on the hard disk and than they obviously will open in the apllication softwares.
you can check out the site for yourself.

Re: open excel file in html page  io_pse at 23:39 on Sunday, March 05, 2006

hey guys, i desperately need your help, the info given on this thread is quite useful but i have a little bit of a problem, i'm trying to access an excel file from an FTP(folder view), i can open it with no probelms in the IE browser but it won't open in Excel, I was just wondering if there's a way that I can force IE to turnover the control to the file to Excel itself? Your help is desperately appreciated.

Re: open excel file in html page  oldhippie at 10:54 on Saturday, April 07, 2007

No workie!
Error message: "Problems with the web page....bla, bla."
Line: 12
Char: 1
Error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Excel.Application'
Code:0
Url: file://C:\temp\Excel_Test.htm

I've even done the Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level/ActiveX Prompt/Enabled

Even done the My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types thing, no good!

What am I doing wrong?

Re: open excel file in html page  emmanux at 01:44 on Sunday, November 11, 2007

Put the file on the net. Drag the page icon from IE to a folder. Use the "file.URL" format for the link. That's all.

Re: open excel file in html page  fer_dss at 00:48 on Monday, December 10, 2007

Hi everybody. I'm from Argentina, so I'm sorry for my english.
Well, it's no necesary to use any script for open an xls file from http.
You just have to put this line at the top of the page,

1. If you're programming on ASP
<%
Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel"
%>

2. If you're programming on PHP
<?
header("Content-Disposition: inline; filename=arx_$fecha.doc");
header('Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel);
?>

If you wanna open a doc file, just replace ms-excel by ms-word.

And thats all!

Here is a couple of samples,

1. ASP
<%
Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel"
Response.Write ("<table width='100%'>")
Response.Write ("<tr><td><h2>XIXTECH</h2></td></tr>")
Response.Write ("</table>")
Response.Write ("<table border='1' align='center'>")
Response.Write("<TR>")
Response.Write("<TD>")
Response.Write ("Page")
Response.Write("</TD>")
Response.Write("<TD>")
Response.Write ("XIXTECH")
Response.Write("</TD>")
Response.Write("<TD>")
Response.Write ("URL")
Response.Write("</TD>")
Response.Write("<TD>")
Response.Write ("www.xixtech.com")
Response.Write("</TD>")
Response.Write("</TR>")
Response.Write("</table>")
%>

2. PHP
<?
$fecha = date('m-d-Y');
header("/forum/Content_Disposition_inline_filenameFile_fecha.xls");
header('Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel');

header("Pragma: no-cache");
header("Expires: 0");

echo "<table border=1>\\n";
echo "<tr>\\n";
echo "<th>Titulo</th>\\n";
echo "<th>URL</th>\\n";
echo "</tr>\\n";
echo "<tr>\\n";
echo "<td><font color=red>XIXTECH</font></td>\\n";
echo "<td>www.xixtech.com</td>\\n";
echo "</tr>\\n";
echo "<tr>\\n";
echo "<td><font color=red>Google</font></td>\\n";
echo "<td>www.google.com</td>\\n";
echo "</tr>\\n";

echo "</table>\\n";
?>

If you have any doubt, just let me know.

Regards!

Fer

Re: open excel file in html page  pratclif at 12:35 on Friday, January 11, 2008

you just have to put your cursor on the cell you want to open and save your excel sheet then. When you open your excel sheet again, the cursor is on that cell....

Re: open excel file in html page  pratclif at 12:51 on Friday, January 11, 2008

to do what you want you have to delete the .xls file and have only the .htm file. Work on the .htm file only; use the edit with microsoft office excel icon that is in the menu bar of your IE6 or 7 browser. You are in excel with all is functions and you can work it. When you save, it saves as .htm file. Rmember that an excel XX.htm files has a xx_files folder where all the sheets and graphs are stored.

Re: open excel file in html page  pratclif at 12:51 on Friday, January 11, 2008

to do what you want you have to delete the .xls file and have only the .htm file. Work on the .htm file only; use the edit with microsoft office excel icon that is in the menu bar of your IE6 or 7 browser. You are in excel with all is functions and you can work it. When you save, it saves as .htm file. Rmember that an excel XX.htm files has a xx_files folder where all the sheets and graphs are stored.

This 45 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  [2]  3  > >  

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: Cracked software ftp download 2013
•  Re: Crack Engineering Software
•  Full engineering software
•  C# excel library
•  Re: open excel file in html page
•  asp.net excel
•  Latest crack software ftp download