codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Perl installation issues (the last post doesn`t seem to open)  Scott S at 18:34 on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hello, I am new to perl and fairly clueless with this stuff, and I seem to be having problems getting started. After going through the installation process and trying the "Hello World" program, I got the message "'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I tried the first line a couple different ways that I saw suggested, but always had errors. There were a couple oddities I noticed during the installation process.

I have Windows Vista (32 bit - I downloaded ActivePerl many times, but concluded the MSI x86 was "correct") and Perl default saves right in my C drive. I saved the cgi file to "/forum/CUsersScottDesktopDocumentsHelloWorld.html".

When I "Choose Setup Options", only the first 2 options are available, the other 5 such as "Create .pl Script Mapping for Perl" are grayed out. I do not currently have permissions to save files directly into my C drive, so I tried to save Perl in other locations, but with the same results. Since my cmd function defaults to C:/Users/Scott that is where I ultimately decided to save Perl.

I tried several other combinations(I don't remember all of them)and any other suggestions I find involve too much new information for me to accurately digest without my actions bordering randomness and significant frustration.

My last code was
#!/C:/Users/Scott/perl/bin/perl
print "content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "Hello World";

run=>cmd prompt was C:\Users\Scott>perl C:\Users\Scott\Desktop\Documents\HelloWorld.cgi

Please let me know if you have any suggestions that might help me get started.

Thanks

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: how to show images in grid view using asp.net
•  Re: Report Printing - With Visual Basic in Access - Help
•  Re: How to open a pop up without Titlebar?
•  Re: need to enable a text area when the dropdown menus value is more than 0
•  Re: JavaScript: Not working in Firefox 3.x
•  Re: Browse button /filedialog in perl tk:
•  Give me solution
•  program(Application) utilizing more disk utilization and cpu utilization
•  find repeated words in a line

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists
ASP FileExists