codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Handling large datasets in charts quickely  sharmila at 08:47 on Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I have a large dataset(around 50000 points in a list) which has be visualized in a line chart.The size of Canvas may vary according to the size of dataset. Massive amount of points makes the drawing too slow.It also results in cluttering and overlapping of points due to plotting of several points close to each other.So visual representation of data will be unsatisfactory. How can I display subset of available points which will increase the performance? Can anybody suggest me with a suitable algorithm which will help to extract the subset of actual number of points?
I want to filter points which excludes duplicate and unnecessary points.So that the subset will have lesser number of points which will not consume more time to be loaded.I am using c# silverlight.

I have a collection of points (say around 50,000) which has to be drawn in a line chart.I am using line segment and Path to draw this points in chart.
List<double> src = ... //50000 points.
for(i=0;i<src.count;i++)
{
LineSegment segment = new LineSegment();
//get the point x and y value present in the collection
//get the previous point
//add line to path
}
Since I am using large data set it consumes lot of time to load.So I need to eliminate some unwanted points like duplicates..and also for example if i have points like (1,2)(2,4)(3,6) then (2,4) can be removed.The points which are located very closely to each other also can be removed.I have tried calculating average of consecutive points so that length will reduce to half.But it would not be feasible since it will not show proper values.Can you please provide me how can in achieve filtering of point list?How can I do sampling of data?

Read more: Handling large datasets in charts quickely

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: Save up to 80% on SSL Certificates, RapidSSL Certificate @ $ 11.00/yr.
•  Re: need to enable a text area when the dropdown menus value is more than 0
•  Re: Run a .bat file from VB
•  Handling large datasets in charts quickely
•  Re: How to concatenate a string and a variable using perl?
•  Re: Print and print preview file on the website without using the File - Print on the IE
•  Re: Difference between two dates including From & To date
•  Re: Incrementing a date field using javascript via prompt
•  Re: How to know the Control Type in javascript

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists
ASP FileExists
ASP OpenTextFile
ASP FilesystemObject
ASP CreateFolder