codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
This 38 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  [3] > >  
  Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  derelict at 07:53 on Monday, September 04, 2006

The resizing was happening because I had specified the div's width as 96% - setting it's width to pixels (e.g. 768px) solved the problem.

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  mikeFox at 01:06 on Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I have multiple SELECT elements on the page and was unable to get this to work by putting id="formselect" in the action as suggested here.

Instead I created the following functions:

function hideSelect()
{
if (document.all){
var myEls = document.getElementsByTagName("select");
for ( i=0;i<myEls.length;i++ )
{
myEls.style.visibility="hidden";
}
}
}

function unhideSelect()
{
if (document.all){
var myEls = document.getElementsByTagName("select");
for ( i=0;i<myEls.length;i++ )
{
myEls.style.visibility="visible";
}
}
}

I have a very large web site with 100 SELECT elements scattered across many, many pages. The code above allows me to hide all the SELECT elements on a page without adding id="formselect" to each of them.

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  ricantun at 15:02 on Thursday, October 05, 2006

sroszko code works fine, but you must add the element identificator in the inner for of each function

the right code is

function hideSelect()
{
for (j=0; j<document.forms.length; j++) {
var theForm = document.forms[j]
for(i=0; i<theForm.elements.length; i++){
if(theForm.elements.type == "select-one")
{theForm.elements.style.visibility = "hidden";
}
}
}
}

function unhideSelect()
{
for (j=0; j<document.forms.length; j++){
var theForm = document.forms[j]
for(i=0; i<theForm.elements.length; i++){
if(theForm.elements.type == "select-one"){
theForm.elements.style.visibility = "visible";
}
}
}
}

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  jylyn at 03:34 on Thursday, October 19, 2006

Harking back a bit, just wanted to say thanks to LorenzoM, I found the IE filter solution most useful. (Good old Microsoft, if only they'd get the basics working instead of making all these fancy features!)

Just a word of caution, although Lorenzo's code worked fine in isolation, I found I had to use style="filter:revealTrans; height:50px; width:100px;" instead of style="filter:revealTrans; height=50; width=100;" to get my version working. Might be my doctype, I'm not sure, but it's probably better to do it that way anyway.

Thanks again!
Jillian

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  jylyn at 04:28 on Thursday, October 19, 2006

Something I've run into using Lorenzo's solution...

If I have the filter applied on a select box, and use javascript to change the value of the select box, the display won't update (although the value itself does).

I've tried setting the select box to display briefly before updating the value, and then hiding it again, but it goes back to what it was originally displaying.

I know what I'm trying to do doesn't make any sense in the context of this thread, I'm using it for something entirely different :)

I guess since the select box is set to hidden it theoretically shouldn't matter what it is displaying, but in this case you can see it! Any ideas...?

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  mrpsycho98 at 21:44 on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Instead of creating another function to show and hide the dropdown list, i made another solution and it is really suit my needs....yes at least..after all method suggested here not really suit my objective.

Because:

1) there is flickering effect when i'm jumping from <li> to another <li>..n result, my dropdown list keep flickering...show...hide...show..hide...n sometime not even hide..and it shows in front of my menu!!.

2) iframe is not the best solution for SEO...is it? no?

So the solution in my case is:

...to make another dropdown menu on behalf of dropdown list as can be seen here...:

http://www.idealisme.net/leesaformula

Hope this solution might be a little help for others....

Regards,
NAZRI

<Added>

The specific page for it is here:

http://www.idealisme.net/leesaformula/?page=agen/stokis

Regards,
NAZRI

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  bagan at 14:10 on Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hello experts,

I am wondering when I visit this site.
please review this site. they have solved the select with z-index prob.
When I mouse over the menus there is no more issue with select option.
I tried to figure out the code but not have much experience.

I think you guys are experts could solve this prob.

http://www.target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_iw_r_1_0/?node=607608011

Re: Help: Trouble with z-Index and SELECT lists  EisBear at 15:30 on Thursday, September 10, 2009

The z-index works only if your element position is absolute!

Use these links if you want more info about z-index and position

This 38 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  [3] > >  

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Re: form2cgi list order
•  pls help me check this website http://www.buyluxuryclothing.com is real or fake?
•  Re: using html buttons to run vb script
•  Re: drop-down menu selected value
•  Re: Write text strings to Serial Port
•  Re: Submit button, email setup
•  Re: TO SEND Text message or URL through Clickatell
•  sending of file over network
•  project on networking

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists