codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Help with reformatting hard drive to windows for dual boot  Archive Import (Casey ) at 22:12 on Wednesday, July 09, 2003

I installed Linux on my hard drive and I want to reinstall Win 98 and I keep getting a "file system error" problem. How do I revert back to Windows using the Win 98 setup disk?? every option in fdisk keeps freezing fdisk.

Re: Help with reformatting hard drive to windows for dual boot  Troy Wolf at 13:44 on Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Since fdisk looks at the disk at a lower level, I would think it wouldn`t care what OS was on the drive...BUT.... Create a Win98 Boot disk (Some people are confused what this means -- simply format a floppy, and check the checkbox to copy the system files.) Then get a Wipe or Zero-fill utility and put it on the disk. Boot using the disk, then run the wipe utiltiy. After that, you should be able to fdisk, format, and install Windows normally. The wipe utility I use is called wipe.exe. I would give you a link to download it from me, but I have it at home--not here at my office. I`ll check this post tomorrow, and if you still do not have this solved, I`ll hook you up with my utility disk that I use for installing Win98/Win98SE. It has wipe, fdisk, format, and script to copy the setup files to your HD then start Setup. It`s very nice.
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Digital.Canal.Software.V2013
•  Altair_HyperWorks_12.0.1_Win64
•  Global.mapper.V15.0
•  ESI.PAM-RTM.V2010.0
•  KISSsoft.03.2013E.SP5
•  Technical.Toolboxes.Pipeline.Toolbox.2013.Enterprise.v15.0.0