codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Layer & Drop Downs - Expertise Needed  calvinobum at 22:38 on Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Hello all, I need help on displaying a layer (currently wrapped between div tags e.g. <DIV>blah blah blah</DIV>) OVER instead of being masked UNDER some drop downs I also have on the page. For some reason, the layer shows up fine on the page except where there are drop down boxes. Other form elements the layer is able to mask over, but somehow the dropdowns have a much high z-index, and the z-index isn't something I can set...

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Layer & Drop Downs - Expertise Needed  Troy Wolf at 04:10 on Tuesday, February 24, 2004

This is a common problem. SELECT elements (dropdowns) always come to the front of the Z-Order. The way some people handle this is to actually remove the SELECT elements as needed using DHTML. (style.visibility = "hidden";)

There are other methods, but I'm not sure what they are. For example, take a look at the EXCELLENT DHTML menu system from Milonic. Here is a sample that shows their menu dropping down OVER the SELECT elements -- but the SELECT elements are not made invisible.

http://www.milonic.com/menusample14.php

By the way, this Milonic DHTML menu system is by far the best I've ever seen or used, and I've tried and purchased many. It is extremely flexible, and extremely easy to use -- easier to implement than any others I tried. (No I don't work for them or even know any of the developers!)
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums

Recent Forum Threads
•  Trying to make backcolor change after I enter values
•  Re: Difference between two dates including From & To date
•  Disabe onbeforeunload event?
•  Re: MS Access connection in JSP
•  Re: execute linux commands in perl script
•  Re: Server Name or Address could not be resolved?
•  Re: is null or not an object error
•  Re: Using Crystal Reports for generating dynamic reports in JAVA
•  Re: how to connect asp.net to sql server 2000

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists
ASP FileExists
ASP OpenTextFile
ASP FilesystemObject
ASP CreateFolder