codetoad.com
  ASP Shopping CartForum & BBS
  - all for $20 from CodeToad Plus!

Home || ASP | ASP.Net | C++/C# | DHTML | HTML | Java | Javascript | Perl | VB | XML || CodeToad Plus! || Forums || RAM 
Search Site:
  Creating code to search/index the Bible in any language  Archive Import (Jacki Powell) at 07:26 on Thursday, July 17, 2003

I have the entire Bible in Hebrew and English plus other languages. I would like to make this available on my website, and also on CD for free distribution. However, I also need some type of search/indexing code so that the reader might find their way around. Does any free code exist that already does this? I know there are a million Bible study software products out there. But I am looking for something simple, and free because this will be for mass distribution - for free. Therefore I cannot pay copyright royalities to the Bible study software firms. I am not looking to create something complex. I just want a simple way to search/index the Bible. If there was a way that someone could either, 1) enter the book and verse and be taken to that spot, or 2) enter a word and be taken to the first verse with that word. Any help would be appreciated. If this is the wrong forum to ask this, please let me know. I have just found this site and am not familiar with any of the "threads", etc. I just picked the HTML forum as the simplest.
Kind Regards,
Jacki Powell

Re: Creating code to search/index the Bible in any language  Troy Wolf at 01:12 on Friday, August 01, 2003

Jacki, did you find a solution? I`m curious what you find. I`m not familiar with advanced text search tools. Instead, what comes to my mind is to use a database. This method would provide fast access and searching, but you`d have to spend a lot of time up front getting the text divided up into the database. For example, two tables:

[Book]
bookID
bookNameEnglish
bookNameHebrew

[Verse]
bookID
chapterNum
verseNum
verseEnglish
verseHebrew

Once the all the text was split into these tables, then you could easily list the Books for users to select from a dropdown. You could then show all the chapter numbers in a dropdown by selecting them out (select distinct chapterNum from verse where bookID = 12) To search for keywords you just let them enter a string, then select all verses that match. (select b.bookName, v.chapterNum, v.verseNum, v.verse from verse v inner join book b on v.bookID = b.bookID where verse like `%searchTextHere%`)

Also, notice the language-specific columns -- you could manage multiple languages this way. Like I said, though, getting the text into the database would be the hard part. For that, I`d probably write a "quick & dirty" tool best I could to get through the text and automate it as much as possible.

By the way, I already use this free resource to do what you are talking about.
http://www.biblegateway.com/
Troy Wolf: site expert
SnippetEdit Website Editor

CodeToad Experts

Can't find the answer?
Our Site experts are answering questions for free in the CodeToad forums
//

Recent Forum Threads
•  Chat application
•  How to send multiple perameters in SOAP request.
•  Java code for Insert picture on the table in spreadsheet
•  Re: Problem with concatenation
•  how to genrates the crystal report by sending a id at runtime
•  help me
•  pls help me with this..
•  Re: Security - Code verify
•  Job @ EarlySail

Recent Articles
ASP GetTempName
Decode and Encode UTF-8
ASP GetFile
ASP FolderExists